Pizza in a Slow Cooker . . . Melting pot of thoughts, ideas, and stories of family, love and throwing everything in but the kitchen sink.

DOWNRIVER Restau-RANTS or Raves........



      This will be a little mish-mash of restaurants we have gone to and the ups and or downs of each.... I loved Texas Roadhouse when it first opened, can still crave the cinnamon butter on warm rolls MMmmmm. The T-Bone steak is to die for, or was, got turned off due to the prices and the economy? So I forgo the awesome bread and turn to Applebee's where they use to give you texas toast and a salad? humma humma Where did all that all go? Sure, great prices (We use the 2 for $20 all the time.) but to cut out those 2 small things? I can forgive it but I don't like it. So I still eat there but we have been trying more "mom and pop" type places and in the event we don't pack a lunch -  go the following eateries for a quick fix.



Ramsey's Coney Island  (734) 281-6645
12552 Dix Toledo Rd, Southgate, MI 48195
     My favorite is the Country Fried Steak Dinner and Big D loves the Meatloaf Dinner - portions good enough for all (I actually take half home, though I wish they served the white kernel corn and not the big yellow kernels) and Dennis eats all his. We also love their breakfasts - all of it is tasty and the menu gives you a variety of "sizes" to chooses from. Friendly wait staff and cooks. Even the patrons are friendly!
14900 Fort St, Southgate, MI 48195
     I like this place, first time I ever ordered a half order of biscuits and gravy with a side of sausage and - actually ate it! Hubby wasn't fond of it but then he heard an older man order a side of peanut butter for his french toast - the man has been sold ever since !!! I took a bite ---- seriously, Reese cups for breakfast? Too sweet for me.  We enjoy the breakfast, quick and friendly service and the prices are better than McDonald's. Oh, and the coffee is awesome - really. We tried it at a later time of the day to test the menu (my test was the country fried steak) and I don't remember what D ordered? But, sorry 6 - we will go to Ramsey's for the dinner type plates. But see you in the morning anytime !!!
4114 Oakwood Blvd
Melvindale, MI 48122
     OH, this is where my hubby-to-be and I talked for hours - when you could still smoke in confined spaces. Friendly atmosphere and where I go when I want pancakes and eggs. (Sorry IHOP - you suck.) Decent prices and portions- don't always drink java here but I really don't have any bad things to say about it. They have tried to clean up the place but (we were there recently) just don't look too closely at the remodel, many imperfections to be pointed out, of course, doesn't change the flavor of the food, but seriously? If you go there, you'll see what I mean. Don't let this deter you, it's good enough eating for us downriver rats! :-)

Hops and Barley Bar and Grill (734) 282-1494
18561 Allen Rd
Melvindale, MI 48122
     Read the reviews- and indeed don't go with your stomach growling or on a timed lunch break EVER! Bar Burger is awesome, as long as you don't mind waiting. We tried a lunch sandwich, again awesome but were a trainee's test? I know people have to learn/train/get better (and I don't give a crap about what she's wearing) but to the detriment of my business? Never gonna happen. They seriously need to pick up the ball on these fronts or this wanna be front runner in Melvindale is gonna fall flat on it's face! Period. We work at Severstal, they offer 10% off only IF you're eating in house? Really? We can't sneak out and drink beers for 45 minutes while you make our order that we ordered over the phone 45 minutes ago, and still not get a discount? paaaaaaaaaaleeeeeeezzzzzzzzz.

Ram's Horn   (313) 928-7500
15544 Southfield Rd
Allen Park, MI 48101
     I love their fish dinner! Not always there for dinner but... it's the same as the one on Northline and Telegraph. That's where my dad would meet me after work at the envelope shop (we could still smoke) and we would order the fish dinner, have coffee, and chat chat chat away (discuss politics and such). Now me and Big D go have the Country Boy Omelet (1st omelet I ever ate!) and we can split it if not that hungry, the huge salads are made to order. They, on the other hand, are pricey- so we determine before we go out, at the kitchen table, where do YOU wanna go, Hun ? Ha, why can't he ever decide?  The service is awesome - don't know the one girls' name but she is the sweetest thing- and an awesome waitress!!!  5 stars to that girl *****
     Not to step on any one's toes as far as checking out the local bar scene, but I am only here for the food (right now) ;-) I have eaten here a number of times and though not as good as I think they could be? (Think McNasty's !)  But their potato skins are much better than the plate that Ram's Horn is boasting about on the table flyer's, seriously.  More on them later as we make our once a week stop.... after work pitstop - Woot Woot *Breaktime* 

Now I'm HUNGRY....

"EMBRACE THE GREY"

No comments:

Post a Comment